Friday, July 22, 2016

For Better or Worse....In Sickness and in Health.....I'll follow you whatever.....


I remember on August 15, 1992, I stood in front of friends and family in my beautiful white wedding gown and vowed to love Jim in sickness and in health....
Now, honestly at that age, I wanted to believe I knew what that meant.  I watched my Dad love my mom durning her three grueling years of cancer.  He never drew weary of loving and caring for her.  I remember them sitting in the recliner together....
Now as an adult, I know they must have sat there cherishing that moment as if it were probably their last.  I just thought it was cute. It was a love I longed for one day.....

Now, here I am sitting in our recliner with the love of my life, wondering why, of all the people in the world, he got picked to have cancer.  We had so many plans to just be spontaneous, like we were before we had kids, and just travel....

Today, we went back to the doctor to get the catheter out...finally...While we were there, I had to know why we haven't gotten the  pathology report. I can't truly breathe until I know we are free and clear.  I knew way in the back of my mind we wouldn't be completely clear, his numbers were too high, but I wanted to believe it......Sure enough, there was "positive margins", foreign numbers I didn't have a clue what they meant, and metastatic carcinoma....what in the world does all that mean.....Well, means we are not done with this war yet.  We have yet another battle to fight.  We go back to the Doctor on Tuesday to let him tell us what our next battle is....
I got mad, I got sad, I got jealous of all the people walking around laughing, planning trips, being on trips, eating out as if nothing was bothering them.  I'm on the computer researching these medical words and what to do next.  My favorite thing to do when I need to just think is to mow...My family loves when I get stressed....means they don't have to mow.....
As the mower is spitting grass out and looking fresh, I thought about Jim, I remembered our wedding day, I remembered all the good times, I remembered how many times a day he makes me laugh. I remembered I made a promise to love this man regardless of what hits us.....As my mower was running and I was lost in the songs I was listening to, my eye caught this beautiful sight....
Jim sitting at our kitchen table as he does a lot....working.....I watched him for a good while....suddenly I didn't feel cheated out of not having the summer of our dreams...I felt an overwhelming sense of love for this fighter...We are in this thing called life together, on good days and on bad days....Waking up everyday with this man is a good day no mater in sickness or in health........

2 comments:

Donna Jenkins said...

Love your words, Vanessa. As I read, I can feel your love, your pain, your hopes and your gratitude. You and Jim are a beautiful couple, blessed to have each other. How can he not be a fighter with you by his side? Hugs!!! Love you.

lexiecade1 said...

Your words are golden. Donna J's comments are my feelings, too.

We are with you, Nessa. Praying. Hoping. Longing for the best outcome. Knowing God loves you, Jim and the boys Most of All and He will be with you every step. Love y'all, Jerry & Joy